Category: Waste and Recycling Infrastructure Program
Amounts: Total of $500,000 available for round 5; Individual grants of 50% of the capital cost to install a weighbridge, up to a maximum of $75,000
Eligible bodies: Waste and recycling facilities in the waste levy areas and licensed landfills outside the waste levy area
Status: Applications for round 5 are now open. Ongoing, until funds are exhausted
Managed by: NSW Environment Protection Authority
The Weighbridge Fund will support recycling facilities and landfills that meet the eligibility criteria to install weighbridges to facilitate the collection and payment of the waste and environment levy. Weighbridge infrastructure will ensure better quantification of waste and support improved environmental performance at waste and recycling facilities.
If your facility recovers, recycles, processes or stores waste and is liable for the waste levy, you are required to install a weighbridge and accurately record waste movements. See the requirements for weighbridges fact sheet for more information.
Grants under this program are made available to organisations not individuals. To be successful in gaining funding, your organisation must operate a facility which meets the requirements for either landfills or recycling, processing and waste transfer facilities.
Landfills are eligible only if they
- have been granted an environment protection licence for waste disposal
- received less than 5000 tonnes of waste last year
- do not currently have a weighbridge
Recycling, processing or waste transfer facilities are only eligible if they
- receive waste for processing, recycling, storage or transfer only
- are located in a waste levy paying region
- do not currently have a weighbridge
- have been granted an environment protection licence (or have applied for an environment protection licence for this facility),
which covers one of the following activities
- resource recovery
- waste processing (non-thermal treatment)
- waste storage
The following facilities are not eligible for weighbridge funding
- facilities only required to be licensed for clinical and related waste, liquid waste, hazardous or restricted solid waste
- facilities only required to be licenced for slags or virgin excavated natural material
- facilities operating solely as ceramic works, composting, container reconditioning, contaminated soil treatment, or paper or pulp production facilities
- facilities licensed only for metallurgical activities
See Schedule 1 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 for details of licence activities.
See the Waste levy fact sheet (PDF 67KB) for further details of waste levy requirements.
The NSW EPA has engaged Arcadis to provide assistance to Weighbridge Fund applicants, free of charge. Up to 4 hours assistance is available for each eligible applicant to assist with
- advice about the application process and requirements
- review and quality check of application forms
- review of project plans and application evidence
We encourage applicants to take advantage of this application assistance. To apply, please complete the request form (DOC 1MB) and email the form to email@example.com or contact the NSW EPA on 9995 6920 for more information.
Guidelines and application forms
Before you begin, applicants must read the Guide for Applicants, taking note of the eligibility checklist.
Applications will remain open until funding is exhausted.
- Guide for applicants (PDF 789KB)
- Application form (DOCX 1MB)
- Project plan guidelines (PDF 246KB)
- Application assistance request form (DOCX 1MB)
For more information contact the Waste and Recycling Infrastructure Unit by phone on (02) 9995 6920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.