Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements Grants Program

Program snapshot

Category:  Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements Grants Program

Amounts:  Total $5 million over two years; individual grants: up to $200,000. The grants will cover up to 70 per cent of the total cost with the remainder being met by council contributions.

Round 1: Total amount awarded $3.83 million

Round 2: Total amount awarded $3 million

Round 3: Total amount awarded $1.8million

Eligible bodies: Local councils in the Regional regulated area and Non-regulated area

Contact: 131 555 or wasteless.councils@epa.nsw.gov.au

Status: Closed. Applications for Round 4 will open in late 2018. 

Managed by: NSW Environmental Trust

Aims

The Waste Less, Recycle More Landfill Consolidation and Environmental Improvements Grants Program is being delivered through a partnership between the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and the NSW Environmental Trust.

It provides $5 million to regional councils to support consolidation, closure and environmental improvements of landfills. The grants will be available to councils in the Regional Levy Area and non-regulated area of NSW. Up to $200,000 is available to those rural and regional councils who manage licensed and unlicensed landfills. The funding will provide up to 70 per cent of the costs identified for the project with the remaining 30% covered by council in-kind or financial contributions.

The program has been designed to support regional councils address potential liabilities posed by landfill activities, reduce environmental risks, and contribute to the long-term protection of the environment. It aims to address current issues facing regional and rural landfills including end of life, site security and access, overall supervision and improving landfill operations.

The grant program has involved two streams:

  • Stream 1 - Landfill consolidation and closure
  • Stream 2 - Environmental improvements of landfills.

Past recipients

Round 3

Stream 1 – 12 projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Consolidation stream, totaling $1,516,244. View project summaries

Stream 2 – 3 projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Environmental Improvements stream totaling $323,296. View Project Summaries 

Round 2

Stream 1 - Ten projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Consolidation stream, totalling $1,457,916. View project summaries

Stream 2 - Sixteen projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Environmental Improvements stream, totalling $1,539,914. View project summaries

Round 1

Stream 1 - Fourteen projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Consolidation stream, totalling $1,889,366. View project summaries

Stream 2 - Twenty projects were awarded funding under the Landfill Environmental Improvements stream, totalling $1,942,176. View project summaries

More information

Waste and Resource Recovery Branch
Regional Delivery Team
Phone: 9995 5755

Email: wasteless.councils@epa.nsw.gov.au

Page last updated