In November 2012, the Australian Senate referred the issue of the Impacts on Health of Air Quality in Australia to its Community Affairs Committee for inquiry. The inquiry has the following terms of reference:
The impacts on health of air quality in Australia, including:
- particulate matter, its sources and effects
- those populations most at risk and the causes that put those populations at risk
- the standards, monitoring and regulation of air quality at all levels of government, and
- any other related matters.
The EPA made a submission to the inquiry (PDF 1.43MB) and also provided supplementary information on some issues:
- EPA supplementary submission (PDF 91KB)
- EPA response (PDF 41KB) to the submission by the Hunter Community Environment Centre and Upper Hunter Particles Action Plan.