Guiding industry in best management practices
The EPA’s policy framework for managing odour is the Technical framework - assessment and management of odour from stationary sources in NSW.The framework
- guides industry, consent authorities, planners, environmental regulators and odour specialists in dealing with odour issues
- recommends ongoing environmental improvement and best management practices to prevent or minimise odour
- promotes sustainable land use planning and management to minimise odours and avoid associated conflicts, while recognising the changing needs of industry and society
The framework is accompanied by Technical notes: Assessment and management of odour from stationary sources in NSW (PDF 255KB), which provides detailed odour assessment procedures.
Calculator for meat chicken (broiler) farm developments
In consultation with the then Department of Trade and Investment, Regional Infrastructure and Services and the then Department of Planning and Infrastructure, the EPA developed an odour assessment calculator in Excel format (XLS 38KB) to assist poultry farmers and their consultants to
- plan for chicken broiler farm developments
- inform site purchase decisions.
The calculator uses the formulae defined in section 5 of the technical notes to calculate required setback distances for a particular site using level 1 assessment specified in the technical framework (PDF 260KB). Setback distances calculated as a result of incorrect inputs may not be approved by agencies managing the development approvals process.
If a site cannot accommodate the calculated setback distance, a more complex level 2 or 3 assessment may be required.
The calculator makes it easier for proponents of chicken broiler farms to use the level 1 method to assess sites before purchase rather than attempting to develop farms at sites after the development application process has begun.
More information on selecting appropriate sites for meat poultry (broiler) farm developments is provided in the Department of Industry and Investment’s fact sheet.