The EPA’s partnership with local government aims to build capacity and network of support to drive environmental action and pollution prevention. Working alongside local councils as partners is critical to driving momentum and engagement at the local level.
As appropriate regulatory authorities under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) local government shares regulatory responsibility for a number of environmental issues, under this key environmental protection legislation.
The EPA also sometimes regulates local council activities under environmental protection legislation, as it does with industry and other licensees.
What’s new ?
Courses are available online and face-to-face. Officers can register on the EPA Learning website.
Authorised officers and enforcement officers
Chemicals and radiation
Local Government advisory group
Waste, recycling and litter
- Grants for waste and recycling
- Illegal dumping
- Education resources for residents on the dangers of accepting ‘free’ fill
- Prevent illegal dumping, including the Crackdown on Illegal Dumping handbook for local government and managing illegal dumping projects
- Working with councils to support Regional Illegal Dumping Squads and Programs
- Litter prevention projects
- Local council operations
- Tracking and transporting hazardous waste
- 20-Year Waste Strategy for NSW