The EPA Annual Report 2017–18 (PDF 13.5MB) presents highlights from a productive year in which the EPA worked with business, government and the community to address significant human health and environmental issues. A shorter achievements snapshot (PDF 158KB) is also available.
Key highlights in 2017–18 included
- launching the container Deposit scheme, Return and Earn, which helped reduce drink container litter by 33% in the seven months to 30 June
- leadership of the National Sword Taskforce, which was established to respond to China’s new policy on what recyclable waste it will accept
- hosting the successful AELERT conference for environmental regulators across Australia
- coordinating the management of environmental risks and safe disposal of bushfire debris following the Tathra bushfire
- working on the development of new forestry legislation, passed in June 2018, which will enhance regulation of native forestry
- successful prosecution of Clarence Colliery, resulting in over $1 million in fines for coal slurry pollution in the Wollangambe River, which flows into the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area
- over $2.5 million in fines issued for littering from vehicles
- successful prosecution of serial waste offender Dib Hanna, for dumping asbestos contaminated waste on residential properties. Hanna was sentenced to three years jail.
The EPA Board’s Regulatory Assurance Statement assesses the EPA's performance as a regulator each year, including how industries regulated by the EPA performed, and makes recommendations for overall improvements. The Regulatory Assurance Statement for 2017–18 (PDF .
EPA Annual Reports and Regulatory Assurance Statements
- EPA Annual Report 2017-18 (PDF 13.5MB) and Regulatory Assurance Statement 2017–18 (PDF 876KB)
- EPA Annual Report 2016–17 (PDF 7.9MB) and Regulatory Assurance Statement 2016–17 (PDF 208KB)
- EPA Annual Report 2015–16 (PDF 4.2MB) and Regulatory Assurance Statement 2015–16
- EPA Annual Report 2014–15 (PDF 3.2MB) including Regulatory Assurance Statement 2014–15
- EPA Annual Report 2013–14 (PDF 3.31MB) including Regulatory Assurance Statement 2013–14
- EPA Annual Report 2012–13 (PDF 3.76MB) including Regulatory Assurance Statement 2012–13
- Department of Premier and Cabinet’s Annual Report 2011–12 including the EPA Annual report 2011–12 and Regulatory Assurance Statement