Tracking waste when the system is offline or there is no internet access
- Use pre-printed TCs: If internet access is not available when waste is picked up, the pick-up details can be recorded by hand on the printed TC and the receiving facility enters the data into the OWT when the waste arrives at the facility. Use the “Bulk print TC” option to generate more than one TC against the CA. (See OWT transport certificates)
- Use a five-docket carbon copy TC: Copy details into the OWT when connection is possible.
- Temporary paper record: If online waste tracking is not available when a consignment authorisation (CA) or TC needs to be created or updated, the actions taken can be recorded on paper and entered into the system later. Ensure that all stages of the waste transport are signed off by each party.
- If the receiving facility has access but waste producers and transporters do not, it can enter all the necessary information into the OWT and generate the printed transport certificate (TC) to accompany the waste load.
Information on creating CAs and TCs offline for receiving facilities.
Recording waste loads without consignment authorisations and transport certificates
No transport certificate
If waste arrives without a paper TC, the receiving facility may still accept the waste if it can do so lawfully. To record the acceptance of the waste in the OWT:
- Go to “Existing TC” in the OWT menu and use relevant search fields to find out if a TC for the waste load has been created.
- If a TC exists, record the pick-up and arrival details as usual, but check the 'No paper TC' check box when recording the arrival – this action automatically creates an exception report.
No transport certificate but a valid consignment authorisation
If there is no TC for the waste movement in the online system
- Go to “Existing CA” in the OWT menu and use relevant search fields to check for a valid CA in the system to cover the waste movement
- If there is a valid CA, create a TC for the waste movement and record the pick-up and arrival as usual, but check the 'No paper TC' check box when recording the arrival – this action automatically creates an exception report.
No transport certificate or consignment authorisation
Create TC without a CA If there is no TC in the online system and the waste movement is not covered by a valid CA, search for the transporter or consigner name or other relevant waste detail, then select the ‘create TC w/o CA’ button to create a TC for the waste movement. The online system creates an exception report automatically.
Using paper transport certificates
You need to use paper TCs that come in five-docket sheets if you are
- generally not able to access OWT, for example you have intermittent internet access
- wanting a backup when the OWT is not accessible
- transporting trackable waste interstate
Ordering and receiving paper transport certificates
Email the EPA at email@example.com with
- details of the current CA(s)
- the number of TCs you require
- contact details
- postal address
The TCs are sent using standard mail. Australia Post lists estimated delivery times on its website, which you can search via postcode. Allow processing time and delivery time for your request.