Amounts: Total of $5 million available
Eligible organisations: Local councils and regional waste groups as listed in Appendix A and B of the Program Guidelines
Status: Open. Applications close 4pm Tuesday 11 August 2020.
Managed by: NSW Department of Industry, Planning and Environment
This Program forms part of the Alternative Waste Technology Transition funding package for the AWT industry and affected local councils to minimise cost and disruption to services. The funding package was created as a response to the EPA’s decision to revoke the general and specific Resource Recovery Orders and Resource Recovery Exemptions for the application of Mixed Waste Organic Outputs (MWOO) used as a soil amendment on agricultural, mining rehabilitation and forestry land.
The aim of the Local Council Transition Fund is that eligible local councils provide sustainable, reliable and affordable kerbside services to their communities that maximise recovery from the red-lid bin and recirculation safely back into the productive economy.
The Fund supports strategic planning, options assessment and the transitioning to sustainable waste management services that maximise the amount and quality of organics recovered.
This grant provides targeted support for:
- strategic planning and options assessment
- increasing the recovery of organics:
- transitioning to new organics collection services and minimising recoverable products and hazardous materials in the red-lid bin or
- improving recovery of organics in existing services and minimising recoverable products and hazardous materials in the red-lid bin
What will be funded?
The types of projects that will be funded are those that set out to achieve the program aim and objectives, including:
- strategic planning, options assessment, project management, business case development, waste composition and service performance assessment, social research and community engagement
- tendering and new service rollout
- projects to increase participation, reduce contamination and improve householder awareness and understanding.
- Local Council Transition Fund Guidelines (PDF 184KB)
- Local Council Transition Fund Application (Project Table) (EXCEL 101KB)
Circular Economy and Resource Management Division
Local Government Programs Unit