Waste licensing

Some waste-related activities require an environment protection licence issued by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA). This includes activities such as storing, processing, transporting and disposing of waste, and recovering resources from the waste stream. A licence imposes controls on these activities to prevent them causing harm.

Do you need a licence?

The onus is on you to find out whether you need a licence. Fines and penalties apply to operating without a licence, or not complying with licence conditions.

Searching for an existing licence

Environment protection licences are listed in the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) public register.

More information

For more information about licensing, or if you are not sure whether you require a licence:


Page last updated