Neighbourhood noise

What to do about the different types of noise in your neighbourhood – including the noise in your own home.

  • Discover the different ways you can prevent neighbourhood noise, from becoming a serious issue, such as mediation, involving the local council or contacting the EPA.
  • Looking after your dog properly will often prevent excessive barking. Find out about the law applying to noise from dogs and make life better for dogs, dog owners and their neighbours.
  • Maintain your intruder alarm, and know what to do if a neighbour's home or car alarm is an undue disturbance.
  • Find out about ways to avoid having a noisy vehicle, reporting noisy vehicles and what the law says when vehicle noise becomes offensive.
  • Discover how you can seek a noise abatement order from the local court if you decide to take action independently of the local council or other regulator to stop offensive noise from neighbours.

When to contact the EPA

The EPA is responsible for reviewing and updating the Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2017. The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) shares responsibility for enforcing noise control regulations with local government, NSW Police and NSW Roads and Maritime Services.

The EPA also regulates noise from some sources. Find out which.

Page last updated