Tracking waste out of NSW or overseas

There are different regulations for tracking waste out of NSW or overseas than for tracking waste within NSW.

Tracking waste from interstate to a receiving facility in NSW

Tracking waste from NSW to a receiving facility in another state or territory

Find out which types of waste must be tracked when transported interstate.

Contact the environment agency in the relevant state or territory for advice on requirements, including consignment authorisations.

A 5-docket paper waste transport certificate is needed to record each movement approved under a consignment authorisation. This can be obtained from the NSW EPA. Email and provide the following information

  • consignment authorisation number that the paper waste transport certificate/s will be used with
  • name, phone number and email address of a contact person
  • how many 5-docket paper waste transport certificates are needed
  • postal address of the consignor

If you are transporting waste to another state of territory, you must comply with the laws of each state or territory you pass through once you leave NSW.

The National Environment Protection Measure

The National Environment Protection (Movement of Controlled Waste between States and Territories) Measure(NEPM) covers the transport of controlled waste between Australian states and territories.

Controlled wastes are listed in Parts 1 and 2 of Schedule 1 of the Protection of the of Environment Operations (Waste) Regulation 2014.

The NEPM establishes a national system to track controlled waste being moved between states and territories to ensure it is properly identified, transported and handled.

The agency responsible for environment protection in each State and Territory can advise whether any particular waste to be transported or received across a border is a controlled waste under the NEPM.

Tracking waste overseas

The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal and the Australian Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989 impose requirements on companies exporting and importing hazardous wastes. The Commonwealth Department of the Environment and Energy administers the Act.

The definition and classification of 'hazardous wastes' for international movements are different from those for controlled waste in the NEPM. Therefore, it is important to contact the Australian Government before arranging to trade in hazardous wastes with companies overseas. 


Page last updated