Radiation user licence: application for user licence under mutual recognition arrangements

Automatic mutual recognition

Current mutual recognition

The mutual recognition principle as it applies to occupations, allows a person who is registered to conduct an occupation in one Australian state or territory or New Zealand, to carry out the same occupation in another state or territory. In other words, if someone is assessed to be good enough to practise a profession or occupation in one Australian jurisdiction or New Zealand, they should be able to do so anywhere in Australia.

'Registration' in this context includes the licensing, registration, approval, admission, certification (including by way of practising certificates) or any other form of authorisation required by legislation for a person to carry on an occupation.

Under the NSW Radiation Control Act 1990, the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is able to issue radiation user licences to persons using regulated material.

A person who is registered in an equivalent occupation in another state or territory or New Zealand may be entitled to apply to the EPA under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (Cwlth) for a licence to use radioactive substances, SSDs and radiation apparatus in NSW or for an accreditation related to their occupation.

The Guideline for the Operation of the Mutual Recognition Legislation for Licensing and Accreditation under the Radiation Control Act 1990 (PDF 88KB) details the operation of the legislation in relation to licensing and accreditation under the Radiation Control Act.

Applying for a licence or accreditation under the Mutual Recognition Act

To apply for NSW radiation user licence under the Mutual Recognition Act you must supply

Use eConnect to apply for your licence or accreditation under Mutual Recognition.

Page last updated