A dangerous goods driver licence AND dangerous goods vehicle licence. is required if the vehicle;
- is carrying any quantity of dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres; or
- is carrying any receptacle containing more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods.
Note: a receptacle is a container that holds the dangerous goods substance or article and is in contact with the substance or article.
A dangerous goods driver licence or vehicle licence is not required if
- the dangerous goods are in IBCs; and
- the total capacity of the IBCs on the vehicle is no more than 3000 litres; and
- no IBC is filled or emptied while on the vehicle.
Licences are issued for vehicles such as
- rigid vehicles
- B-double trailers
- road-train trailers
Prime movers and converter dollies do not require a dangerous goods vehicle licence.
Licences are valid for one year and are nationally recognised.
Where multiple vehicles require a licence, they can all be included on a single licence containing details of each vehicle.
To apply for a dangerous goods vehicle licence
- complete the vehicle licence application form (PDF 1.4MB)
- provide information about the vehicle such as its registration number and advise the class or classes of dangerous goods to be carried
- hold an insurance policy for the vehicle that indemnifies the vehicle for the carriage of dangerous goods with a minimum of $5,000,000 cover for clean-up and emergency services costs
- pay the licence application fee
- provide a rear image of the vehicle showing the number plate and vehicle type.
For tank vehicles, you must also provide
- the date of the last hydrostatic test carried out on the vehicle (if applicable)
- an image of the tank compliance plate showing a valid design approval number and the tank serial number
- for heavy vehicle tank trailers, details of the roll stability system (RSS) fitted
RSS is mandatory for ALL dangerous goods heavy vehicle tank trailers operated in NSW.
See Approval of a dangerous goods road tank vehicle design for more information.
- New licence: $87 per vehicle
- Additional vehicle(s) on current licence: $87 per vehicle
- Licence renewal: $87 per vehicle
- Transfer of licence: $11