Round 2 recipients were announced in December 2019. Round 1 recipients were announced in February 2019. The list of all Product Improvement Program recipients is available.
The PIP supports the NSW resource recovery sector to respond to changes in recycling markets and meet NSW waste and resource recovery targets.
Round 2 of the PIP saw the integration of three 'Waste less Recycle More' grant programs (the PIP, the Recycling Innovation Fund, and the Resource Recovery Facility Expansion and Enhancement Program) to deliver a greater focus on infrastructure innovation and incorporate innovative research and development projects.
Stream 1 - Infrastructure projects
- improve the quality of recycled materials produced by material recovery facilities (MRFs) to better supply local and international markets and reduce the amount of unrecyclable material left at the end of the recycling process
- increase the amount of waste materials recycled in NSW and divert additional waste from landfill by accelerating and stimulating investment in recycling infrastructure
- increase the capability and capacity to recover and reprocess waste materials in NSW
- increase the use of recycled content in the manufacture of products within NSW
- increase the recovery of identified priority waste materials.
Stream 2 - Research and Development projects
- conduct research and development that pursues innovation that can promote a holistic market response and will lead to increased recovery of problem wastes in NSW
- seek solutions for problem wastes that are not targeted by other Waste Less, Recycle More grant programs.
Application forms and guidelines
The Product Improvement Program is not currently open to applications. Round 2 closed on 26 July 2019.
To be notified of future funding programs, please advise your interest to the Waste and Recycling Infrastructure Unit.
Details on eligibility and requirements are found below. Applicants must read the Guide for Applicants.
- Guide for Applicants (Stream 1) (PDF 259KB)
- Application Form (Stream 1) (DOCX 173KB)
- Guide for Applicants (Stream 2) (PDF 259KB)
- Application Form (Stream 2) (DOCX 156KB)
- Project Plan form (DOCX 99KB)
- Project Plan definitions (PDF 124KB)
- Application Budget (XLSX 74KB)
- Processing Capacity and Throughput (XLSX 32KB)
- Cost-benefit Analysis (XLSX 224KB)
- Financial Analysis (XLSX 115KB)
- Financial and Cost-benefit analysis checklist (PDF 462KB)
- Business Case Advisory Service Application form (DOCX 123KB)
An information session on the PIP is available for viewing. The video provides information for potential applications including local government, waste service providers, manufacturers, industry and not-for-profit organisations.
Video recorded 12 June 2019
For more information contact the Waste and Recycling Infrastructure Unit by phone on (02) 9995 6920 or email email@example.com.