A whole-of-government approach is required to coordinate immediate interventions, as well as plan longer-term solutions to respond to these global changes.
To this end, the NSW Government has established an inter-governmental Taskforce to urgently progress a longer-term strategic response to National Sword, in partnership with industry and local councils.
This Taskforce is led and chaired by the NSW EPA. The Taskforce includes representatives from
- NSW EPA (Chair)
- Department of Premier and Cabinet, including the Cross-Border Commissioner
- NSW Treasury
- Department of Finance, Services and Innovation
- Roads and Maritime Services
- Fire & Rescue NSW
- Department of Planning and Environment
- Office of Local Government
- Office of the Small Business Commissioner
Longer term solutions are required to ensure NSW can continue its strong recycling record. The Taskforce’s work is focused on long-term actions, including: examining the use of recycled products and scouting opportunities to increase the use of recycled products, developing a circular economy policy for NSW and pursuing a national policy, and examining long term recycling strategies and support requirements.
This Taskforce is also consulting with industry, local government and other relevant stakeholders.