The EPA currently issues accreditations for consulting radiation experts (CREs) to assess:
Diagnostic imaging apparatus (x-ray)
Fixed radiation gauges
Individuals who are appropriately qualified can apply to become a CRE in one or all of the categories listed below.
Diagnostic imaging apparatus
Diagnostic imaging apparatus (DIA) includes the following categories
- computed tomography
- bone mineral densitometry
A CRE may be accredited to assess ionising radiation apparatus and verify mandatory requirements in accordance with the requirements of Radiation Standard 6: Compliance requirements for ionising radiation apparatus used in diagnostic imaging in the following categories
- DIA for mammography only (RCM)
- DIA for Radiography and BMD (including chiropractic) (RAR)
- DIA for dental only - includes intra-oral, panoramic x-ray, cephalometry and dental CT (RAD)
- DIA for fluoroscopy and BMD (RAF)
- DIA for computed tomography (RACT)
- DIA for veterinary science (RAV)
A CRE may be accredited to assess radiation gauges installed in fixed positions (fixed radiation gauges) for the purpose of certifying compliance in accordance with Radiation Guideline 3: Recommendations for minimum standards and safety requirements for fixed radiation gauges.