Licensing and training

If you are involved in transporting dangerous goods in NSW, you must have appropriate training and you may also require a dangerous goods driver licence and dangerous goods vehicle licence.

Dangerous goods driver and vehicle licences

A dangerous goods driver licence AND dangerous goods vehicle licence is required if the vehicle

  • is carrying any quantity of dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres
  • is carrying any receptacle containing more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods.

A dangerous goods driver licence or vehicle licence is not required for transport of intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) with a total capacity of up to and including 3000 litres, unless any IBC is filled or emptied while on a vehicle.

If you are transporting waste in NSW, you may also need a waste transporter’s licence.

A current dangerous goods driver licence issued by any state or territory is recognised throughout Australia, and allows you to drive a dangerous goods vehicle in NSW.


  • Before applying for your dangerous goods driver licence, you must complete the training course: TLILIC0001 Course in the transport of dangerous goods by road.
  • Find a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) that offers the course at
  • Check with the RTO that they are authorised to present the course for licensing purposes.

Want to be a trainer?

Email or call the Environment Line on 131 555 for more information.

Page last updated