Waste Less, Recycle More infrastructure funding is designed to accelerate and stimulate investment in infrastructure to increase the amount of waste materials recycled in NSW and divert additional waste from landfill. The Fund supports projects within NSW that: improve the quality of recycled materials produced by material recovery facilities (MRFs); increase the capability and capacity to recover and reprocess waste materials; increase the use of recycled content in the manufacture of products; and increase the recovery of identified priority waste materials.
The Fund is aimed at assisting the NSW waste and resource recovery industry to meet NSW 2021 recycling targets.
Two key programs provide funding for new recycling facilities or upgrades to existing recycling or manufacturing facilities.
- Product Improvement Program provides industry an opportunity to identify new uses and markets for recyclable materials, and to develop local processing and remanufacturing capability to help ensure services are maintained in future years.
Round 2 of the Product Improvement Program offers funding in two streams: Infrastructure; and Research and Development. The Program incorporates the Resource Recovery Facility Expansion and Enhancement Program (RRFEE) Grants Program, and projects funded under the former Recycling Innovation Fund (RIF).
- Major Resource Recovery Infrastructure Program for new council and private sector facilities.
Waste and recycling infrastructure grant recipients can apply for free infrastructure and procurement advice.
Funding is also available to support waste and recycling facilities to
- install weighbridges to facilitate the collection and payment of the Waste and Environment Levy
- ensure better quantification of waste
- improve environmental performance at waste and recycling facilities.
The Weighbridge Fund supports waste operators to comply with the state requirement that all waste-levy paying facilities have a weighbridge installed.