Automatic mutual recognition

Information about automatic mutual recognition, making it easier for tradespeople and registered professionals to work in other states with a single licence.

As part of national reforms aimed at making it easier for registered professionals to work interstate, a range of NSW tradespeople and registered professionals will be able to work in other states with a single licence from their home state under recent changes to the Mutual Recognition Act 1992 that commenced from 1 July 2021.

Temporary exemptions from AMR

Temporary exemptions for most occupational registrations have been granted for 12 months from I July 2021 to enable NSW regulators and stakeholders to transition into AMR. These temporary exemptions allow time for implementation issues to be resolved, such as improving information sharing arrangements between states and territories.

Exemptions of 12 months apply for all EPA administered registrations within scope of AMR.

These are

  • Radiation user licences under section 7 and accreditations under section 8 of the Radiation Control Act 1990.
  • Pesticide user licences (not business licences) specified in clause 6 of the Pesticides Regulation 2017
  • Contaminated land site auditors under Part 4 of the Contaminated Land Management Act 1997.

Current mutual recognition arrangements remain unchanged.

If you are a NSW licensee and want to take advantage of mutual recognition in another state or territory, you should contact the relevant regulator in that state or territory.

Page last updated