EPA Annual Report
Read about our work as an exemplary leader, partner and protector, in safeguarding the environment and the community, over the past year in the 2016-17 Annual report.
The Annual report is full of interesting stories and statistics that show how important EPA work is protecting the environment and the community in NSW. For example, EPA programs, partnerships and regulatory activities in 2016–17 have:
- helped reduce blood lead levels in Aboriginal children in Broken Hill
- made it easier for households to safely dispose of problem waste such as paint and oils
- mandated the completion of the clean-up of coal particle pollution in the Wollangambe River in the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area
- held polluters to account, with a record $2.4 million in penalties and fines following 94 successful prosecutions
- engaged our stakeholders on a wide range of issues - from clean air to firefighting foam contamination, to load-based licensing.
In addition to the Annual Report, the EPA Board submits a Regulatory Assurance Statement (RAS) to the NSW Environment Minister. The RAS details the EPA’s regulatory performance, how the organisation has met certain environmental health outcomes; is responding to new and emerging issues; how industries regulated by the EPA are improving their environmental performances, and how the EPA’s work compares to environmental regulators in other jurisdictions.