We manage environmental issues
We work alongside Federal, State and local governments to deliver environmental outcomes for the people of NSW.
We consult with the community, industry, business and government on a broad range of activities and issues that affect the NSW environment.
- air, water and noise pollution
- waste and resource recovery
- contaminated land
- dangerous goods
- chemicals and hazardous materials
- radiation and solaria (tanning units)
- native forestry
- coal seam gas projects
- wind farms.
We respond to pollution incidents and emergencies
We work in collaboration with other government agencies to respond to and manage pollution incidents that involve hazardous materials. This includes:
- determining measures to prevent and prepare for incidents that may impact on the environment
- facilitating the protection of the environment during emergency response and recovery
- facilitating the clean-up of land and inland waters affected by pollution incidents.
We enforce environmental regulations
- We issue environment protection licences to control activities that could have an impact on the environment or human health, and to encourage better environmental performance.
- We monitor emissions and compliance, conduct audits and investigate reports of pollution. If necessary we impose fines, require stricter operating conditions, impose pollution reduction programs and/or order people to clean up pollution.
- We prosecute organisations and individuals who break NSW environmental laws. EPA prosecutions can result in heavy fines and jail sentences.