Waste Less, Recycle More provides $137.7 million over five years for local government waste and resource recovery to help councils recycle more and reduce illegal dumping and littering. The funding includes:
- $38.7 million to support councils that pay the waste levy as they transition from the Waste and Sustainability Improvement Payment (WaSIP) Program; this funding was fully paid out to local councils in June 2013
- $70 million for the Better Waste and Recycling Fund over four years, (commencing 2013–14) for councils that pay the waste levy to improve recycling and tackle litter and illegal dumping
- $9 million for councils that pay the waste levy to fund regional coordinators, plan infrastructure, and develop and deliver regional waste strategies required under the NSW 2021 Regional Action Plans
- $13 million to help voluntary regional waste groups coordinate their work, plan infrastructure and develop and deliver regional waste strategies
- $7 million to help regional and rural local councils with landfill consolidation and environmental improvements.
In addition to this dedicated funding, local councils also have exclusive access to $85.1 million worth of Waste Less, Recycle More contestable grants for community recycling centres, organics collection systems, and tackling illegal dumping and litter.
A further $133 million in contestable grants is available to councils, industry, and community organisations.
Waste and Resource Recovery Branch
Regional Delivery Team
Phone: 1300 361 967