Healthy Environment, Healthy Community, Healthy Business

Environment Protection Authority

Environmental Issues

Chemicals and pesticides

Pesticide licensing for specific businesses and individuals

Certain occupations and businesses that use pesticides must be licensed by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA). Occupations requiring licensing under the Pesticides Act 1999 are:

  • aerial applicators
  • pest management technicians
  • fumigators.

Aerial applicators of pesticides

Aerial application of pesticides to a NSW property requires a licence. For information about licensing, visit the EPA’s page for aerial applicators of pesticides.

Pest management technicians and fumigators

From 1 September 2015, the licensing arrangement for pest management technicians and fumigators has been transferred from SafeWork NSW (formerly WorkCover) to the EPA, which means that all existing WorkCover certificates of competency, renewals and applications for new licences will be administered by the EPA.

The EPA will be issuing licences, rather than certificates of competency, for pest management technicians and fumigators.

Existing WorkCover certificates of competency will continue to apply until their expiry date. There is no need to apply to the EPA to convert your certificate of competency to a licence until the certificate approaches its expiry date.

The Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) registers pesticides in Australia. All pesticides have approved labels that must be complied with and records of their use must be made as specified under clause 14 of the Pesticides Regulation 2009.

SafeWork NSW (formerly WorkCover) will continue to regulate pest management technicians and fumigators on work health and safety matters – you can call SafeWork NSW (formerly WorkCover) on 131 050.

Licence types

There are two licence types:

  • Pest Management Technician (PMT) Licence
  • Fumigator (FUM) Licence.

To find which activities are covered under each licence, visit the licensing questions and answers page.

Applying for a pest management technician or fumigator licence

Licensing requirements

To be eligible for a licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • have completed relevant training or qualifications from a registered training organisation (RTO).

Training and qualifications required for licences

The core competencies required to apply for the pest management technician licence are different from those required for the fumigator licence. The training requirements fact sheet (PDF 173KB) can help you identify what qualifications you need. Refer to the pesticide licensing questions and answers page for more information.

How to apply

To apply for a new licence (either licence type), complete the Pest Management Technician and Fumigator Licence application form (DOCX 65KB) and indicate which licence type you are applying for. A separate application form is required for each licence type you are applying for. You must fulfil all the licensing and training requirements and pay the relevant fee for your application to be complete.

Please attach to the completed application:

  • evidence of completing the relevant training or qualification from an RTO
  • proof of identity and age (you must be over 18 years of age)
  • a copy of your qualification from an RTO
  • two passport size and quality photographs.

The fee for an application made on or after 1 July 2017 is $196, applicable to each licence type. You must complete an application form for each licence type but will be issued one card for multiple licence types.

Please send the completed application form by post only to:

Chemicals and Radiation Licensing Unit
NSW EPA, PO Box A290
Sydney South, NSW 1232.

For payment options please refer to the application form. You can pay by credit card, money order or cheque.

Renewing a licence

You must apply for a new licence within 60 days of the expiry date. The renewal fee is $153 for applications made on or after 1 July 2017. The EPA will send current pest management technicians and fumigators a reminder notice and a renewal application form in the months before the expiry date.

Replacing a licence

If your licence has been lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen, complete the licence replacement application form (DOCX 112KB). The cost of replacing your licence is $23. You can also use this form if your licence contains a printing error or was not received (there is no charge for this).

Pesticide records and notification requirements

The NSW EPA requires pest management technicians and fumigators to keep records of their pesticide use and to provide notice of intended pesticide applications or treatments in some situations.

For more information about these requirements refer to the EPA’s pesticides webpage.

Occupational pesticide users who do not need a licence

You do not need a licence if you use pesticides in agriculture, amenity horticulture or water treatment, or if you use antifoulant paints, ectoparasiticides or timber preservatives at a timber treatment plant. The EPA may also exempt particular classes of persons or businesses from licensing requirements. Refer to the questions and answers page for more information.

Farmers do not require a fumigator licence to use or apply aluminium phosphide tablets or chloropicrin in agriculture. For further information on exemptions please contact Environment Line on 131 555.

Occupational pesticide users who do not require a licence may however be required to undertake mandatory training. For more information see the EPA’s pesticides training page.

More information

For more information about licensing for pest management technicians and fumigators, visit the licensing questions and answers page.

Page last updated: 19 July 2017