What can you do?

Community involvement in decision making

Public submissions and stakeholder consultation

The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) proposes a range of legislation, policies and guidelines, as well as preparing reports and submissions that call for community involvement, engagement and consultation.

Have your say on proposed legislation, policies and guidelines that are currently open for comment of the Have Your Say website.

Water pollution reporting and complaints

The EPA works with all stakeholders to improve water quality in NSW, and encourages everyone to play a role in protecting our water resources by reporting pollution incidents to the 24/7 Environment Line 131 555 as soon as possible.

If you observe pollution

Note as many details of the incident as possible, including time, date, location, descriptions of the people involved, vehicles and number plates and anything else noticed.

For major pollution incidents

If the incident presents an immediate threat to human health or property (such as toxic fumes), call 000 to report it immediately to emergency services.

Report to the responsible organisation

Non-emergency incidents should be reported to the organisation responsible for regulating pollution from that activity. If you are unsure of who to contact, call the Environment Line 131 555 for assistance. View list of organisations responsible for water pollution regulation.

If you or your company cause pollution

Anyone engaged in the activity resulting in the pollution incident has a duty to report the incident. Whoever occupies land where a pollution incident occurs must also report it. Failure to do so is an offence and carries a fine. Find out more about the duty to notify.

Ask Environment Line

Ask Environment Line is an online help centre offering answers to common questions about environmental issues or reporting pollution.

Page last updated