For an introduction to the 'Local litter check' download the guidelines (PDF 1.5MB).
Understand your litter problem
The 'Local litter check' helps you gather evidence about litter behaviour in your local area at sites such as parks, beaches and bus stops.
The kit steps you through key information you need to know such as
- What is littered?
- Who uses the area?
- What bins are present, and is the area clean?
By answering these questions, you can build a plan of action to tackle litter.
'Local litter check' online
The ‘Local litter check’ online tool guides you through the steps. With a smartphone, tablet or laptop computer connected to the internet, you can collect the information directly at your chosen site.
Your ‘Local litter check’ information will be available online in an easy-to-use format to view, edit and share with others.
Once your project is underway, use the ‘Local litter check’ to track your progress and measure your success.
To use the ‘Local litter check’ online tool you need to be logged in. For your first visit to the site, you will guided through a simple registration process.
Ready to get started?
If the 3G or 4G network is unavailable at your selected site, paper forms are available for download to collect your information. You must then manually enter this data into the Local litter check online tool to complete the litter check process.
- Location Inspection report form (PDF 136KB)
- Litter count form (PDF 964KB)
- Location user survey with bins form (PDF 166KB)
- Location user survey without bins form (PDF 164KB)
Other Litter Prevention Kit documents
- Things you should know about litter and litterers (PDF 4.5MB)
- Run an effective litter prevention project (PDF 845KB)
Videos to help you use the Local Litter Check
- Introducing the Local Litter Check
- Preparation and location inspection
- Doing a litter count
- Location user survey
- Results Summary