The EPA works with local councils, community groups, businesses, state agencies and other partners to target the most-littered items and locations. We do this by providing funding for better bins and litter clean ups, education and awareness campaigns and enforcement to hold litterers to account.
Prevent litter everyday
The EPA's litter research shows that 87% of NSW residents think litter is an important issue. It's easy to prevent litter every day:
- put your rubbish in a bin
- take your rubbish with you if no bin is available
- keep a bag in your car to collect rubbish
- put your cigarette butt in a butt bin, or an ordinary litter bin when extinguished
- keep a container in your car to collect cigarette butts
- buy less packaging and use reusable containers
You can also:
- get involved in a local litter prevention project by contacting your local council and local community groups
- report littering.