Contact us

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) encourages members of the community to report forestry operation incidents that they suspect may be illegal or threaten the environment.

Unlawful forestry operations include breaches of environmental regulations and forestry licensing conditions such as

  • logging in stream protection zones
  • causing sediment to wash into streams
  • damaging habitat in protected areas
  • harming threatened plants or animals

EPA forestry offices around NSW





Coffs Harbour

PO Box 582
Coffs Harbour NSW 2450

(02) 6653 0100


PO Box 205
Deniliquin NSW 2710

(03) 5898 3900


Locked Bag 9018
Grafton NSW 2460

(02) 6640 2555

Port Macquarie

PO Box 63, Port Macquarie NSW 2444

(02) 5534 3000


PO Box 733
Queanbeyan NSW 2620

(02) 6229 7099


If you suspect a private native forest operator of illegal activity, phone your nearest EPA office or contact EPA’s Environment Line by

You will need to report details of the incident and send any photos to the EPA by

  • emailing, or
  • writing to write to the Director, Forestry Section, EPA, PO Box A290, Sydney South NSW 1232


The online report form can be used to report suspected incidents about forestry operations in state forests or on other Crown timber land.

If you are not sure whether the land is state forest or Crown timber land, phone your nearest EPA office or phone the EPA’s Environment Line on 131 555.

For issues relating to private hardwood or softwood plantations, or involving impacts on fish or aquatic species, contact the Department of Primary Industries.

Gather all the information you need, including files and photographs for uploading, before you start filling in the online form. The form cannot be saved for completing later.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Note: The form can take a few seconds to load, please be patient.


The form is designed to make it easy to provide the information the EPA needs to follow up your issue. If your report involves multiple sites or allegations, the form allows for extra documents and photographs to be uploaded.

However, incidents can also be reported to the EPA Environment Line if preferred by

Provide as much information about the incident as you can. Key information includes

  • nature of the incident, for example, water pollution or harming threatened species
  • scale of the incident, for example, was it over a large or small area
  • possible harm to the environment or biodiversity
  • timing of the incident, for example, when did it start and stop, or is it ongoing
  • how and when you become aware of the incident
  • location of the incident, for example, State forest name or address of private native forest, distance to identifying features such as roads or buildings, description of location, GPS location
  • who you suspect is responsible for the incident and why
  • supporting information such as photographs, maps or reports which provide evidence of the alleged incident

Please keep clear of logging operations or forestry machinery. Under NSW forestry regulations, it is an offence to

  • approach within 100 metres of timber harvesting or hauling equipment being operated in a forestry area
  • interfere with timber harvesting or hauling equipment in a forestry area

All complaints are registered and acknowledged when received. The EPA reviews the reports and decides whether there is sufficient evidence or risk of harm to the environment to investigate. Investigative work is prioritised based on

  • the nature of the allegation
  • the information provided
  • other investigations in progress

Complex cases may require multiple inspections, interviews and ongoing investigation. Although this may take some time, complex cases must be investigated thoroughly and evidence collected must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the incident was illegal or posed a threat to the environment.

Legislation provides up to 2 years for investigations to be finalised.

For information on the progress of your complaint, phone Environment Line on 131 555 or email You can also contact your nearest EPA regional office.

Page last updated