There are 7 IFOAs in NSW that
- incorporate licence conditions to protect soil, water, and threatened species and their habitats
- set out terms and conditions under which all forestry operations, including logging, must be conducted
- apply to anyone carrying out forestry operations on state forest and other Crown-timber land
- play a key role in the day-to-day planning and activities of the Forestry Corporation of NSW (FCNSW)
EPA compliance monitoring
The EPA maintains an active native forestry compliance program to help ensure compliance with the IFOAs and to promote continuous improvement in environmental performance.
The EPA regulates FCNSW’s compliance with the IFOAs’
- environment protection licence
- threatened species licence
- other conditions (non-licence terms)
The Department of Primary Industries regulates FCNSW’s compliance with the fisheries licence.
The NSW Government is remaking the IFOAs for the Upper North East, Lower North East, Southern and Eden regions into one Coastal IFOA which is efficient, effective and enforceable, and reflects modern best-practice regulation.