Apply for an assessment of old growth forest and rainforest on your land

The EPA works with landholders wanting to conduct private native forestry to develop a property vegetation plan (PNF PVP). PNF PVPs include a map indicating old growth forest and rainforest areas, which must be protected and cannot be logged. Landholders who believe the maps do not reflect the current situation on their property may request a review of these areas.

Page under review

On 25 August 2017, new legislative arrangements commenced for private native forestry. It should be noted that some references on the EPA's website and any publications may now be outdated. These documents will be progressively updated by the EPA to ensure current legislative arrangements are reflected. More detail about changes can be found here.

If you are a landholder wishing for a re-assessment of your land, take the following steps.

Step 1: Contact your local EPA office to find out who to work with on your request

Step 2: Provide evidence to support your request

Evidence should prove that these areas have been disturbed, and may include

  • photographs of logging disturbance
  • logging records
  • other evidence of disturbance history

Step 3: EPA follows the procedure in the protocols to assess the property

If the EPA is satisfied with the evidence, it will follow the procedure in the protocol for the type of forest in dispute. See

The reassessment is conducted by specialists from the Office of Environment and Heritage and includes

  • an aerial photographic imaging assessment of the property using the latest available imagery
  • field work including cruise sampling and field transects

Note that generally the entire property will be assessed to ensure EPA records are completely up-to-date.

Find out how the EPA identifies old growth forest and rainforest.

Step 4: The assessment is recorded in the public register

Step 5: The assessment is finalised

Depending on the results of the assessment, the EPA will either

  • change the map to show the revised areas of rainforest and old growth forest
  • leave the map as it is

The EPA will send the map to the landholder with the PNF plan.

Step 6: Decide how to proceed

If you agree with the EPA’s final assessment, you may sign the PNF plan and commence operations.

If you do not agree with the EPA’s final assessment, you may end the process and not conduct private native forestry operations on your land.

Page last updated