The draft strategy builds on the good work already completed under the NSW Illegal Dumping Strategy 2014–16. The NSW Government's commitment to reducing illegal dumping is backed by continued funding ($65 million) under the Waste Less Recycle More initiative. This funding will support a range of innovative solutions to illegal dumping, delivered in partnership with councils, industry and the community.
The draft strategy
- aims to address issues through continued collaboration with EPA's partners: local government, land managers, community organisations and industry
- coordinates action on education, enforcement and infrastructure to prevent people from dumping illegally, and to take strong action against those who persist in doing the wrong thing
- provides a framework for evaluating this work
The strategy outlines 6 approaches
- building an evidence base
- stakeholder engagement and capacity building
- education and awareness
- prevention, infrastructure and clean up
- regulation and enforcement
- evaluation and monitoring
Consultation on the draft strategy closed Monday 31 July 2017.
Submissions were encouraged from all interested parties.